Michael P. F. Phelps Shareholder | Philadelphia, PA
On any given day, Mike may work with clients on patent prosecution, product clearance, IP licensing and sales, competitor infringement, or just general intellectual property strategy. He also has significant experience with patent litigation, and relies on his experiences in the legal battlefield to prepare patents for the rigors of enforcement and validity challenges. Mike regularly travels to clients in the U.S. and abroad to provide legal training and updates on the state of the law.
Before the law, Mike was an engineer at Reynolds Metals Company. Mike also spent four years working as an engineer and crew chief for Overbagh Motor Racing, which participated in endurance racing events such as the 24 Hours of Daytona. Transitioning to patent law was a natural step for Mike to satisfy his persistent curiosity to learn about new technologies and see new things. His past careers also give Mike valuable insight into how the engineering process works, and how new inventions are conceived and developed.
Exemplary technologies that Mr. Phelps has handled include:
- Consumer appliances and power tools
- Medical devices, such as bone plates and brain retractors
- DNA sample processing systems and automated laboratory instruments
- Robotic vehicles
- Industrial power generation and cooling systems
- Nonwoven textiles, including diapers and ballistic vest technology
- Polymer selection and processing
- X-ray diffraction systems
- Internal combustion engines and fuel/nitrous oxide injection systems
- Articulated industrial equipment, such as construction vehicles and aircraft landing gear
- Food processing systems and related technology
- Computer-implemented technologies such as internet commerce and medical therapy systems
- Manufacturing, processing and assembly line equipment
- Munitions handling systems
- Storage and shelving systems
- Paper printing technology
Mike joined RatnerPrestia in 2012, after spending the first part of his legal career in the patent group at a large multinational general practice firm.
Outside the law, Mike’s hobbies include woodworking, cooking, photography, art, auto racing, and spending time with his wife and two young girls.